Our next meeting is tonight (Tuesday) at the York Public Library at 7pm.
On the agenda:
1. Rian Bedard of Mr. Fox Composting will be joining us to talk about his goal of making curbside composting a reality in York. Food waste would get picked up throughout the year, and usable compost would return each Spring. His company already has a number of clients in other Seacoast communities. We look forward to hearing more details.
2. Senator Angus King will be joining us for a “plug-in” ceremony celebrating the launch of the 44 panel solar array on the roof of the York Middle School gym (installation slated for next week by our friends at Revision Energy). The event will be held on September 13th.
3. In addition, we will be dedicating the array to the memory of YEEC Co-founder, Cynthia Raymond. A small plaque will be installed on the building honoring her lifetime accomplishments.
4. I recently had the opportunity to complete a three day training with Al Gore and the Climate Reality Project in Chicago. I was joined by 1,400 other people from all 50 states and 70 different countries. It was an amazing experience to meet with so many different educators, government officials, renewable energy entrepreneurs, community organizers, and many, many more. On Tuesday, October 22nd – we will be hosting an event at the library called “A day of Climate Reality”. Similar events will be happening all around the globe simultaneously that day. Stay tuned for more information.
5. Numbers! Numbers! They are dwindling! I know many of you out there read this newsletter and are concerned about climate change and interested in improving our local environment – but I know you have lives also. With that being said, attendance at meetings has dwindled significantly over the last 6-8 months – with sometimes just one or two participants attending beyond myself and Wayne. This work is vitally important – and it requires a community of people – not just one or two people. So for those of you who we haven’t seen in awhile – think about coming tonight – or to a meeting in the future. We’d love to see you – and could use a little help 🙂